Saturday, January 17, 2009

Basketball Diaries


It's freezing here in New York and I was dismayed to see my youngest son had a basketball game at the ungodly hour of 9am!

After dragging myself from my warm bed... getting J ready for his game with breakfast and pleading to put on track pants over shorts... I drove through the frozen tundra to the game.

Despite my misgivings, it turned out to be a great experience. My little guy scored two baskets, I got to chat with some team members moms and snuck a donut hole that was bought by one of the moms for the boys.

The whole sports world for kids is so interesting to me. Some parents are so passionate about it, as if their child was getting ready for the olympics at a tender age. At the other extreme are the parents who just drop off their kid at the gym, then return when its all over and time to go home.
The coach for the opposing team was a well coifed, made-up and dressed mom... she was wearing a print blouse, nice jeans, heels and a glittery necklace. Us other mothers, who barely made it out the door at that hour, marveled about her coaching attire, which must work for her as they won!

Next on the schedule today - another basketball game. This next one is at the more godly hour of 1:00 - maybe because it's for the church team.

Rant of the day - people who don't clear the snow off their cars then cause mini-blizzards in their wake when they drive fast

Rave of the day - J's baskets so far... basketball mom group - dunkin donuts!




No comments: