Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy, historic day



I spent a whole lot of time on the couch today, but I feel no guilt. I spent the day watching the inauguration in its full regalia starting at about 10 until about 5, with a few breaks in between for eating and running to the dry cleaners! J had the homework assignment to watch the inauguration, so he sat with me most of the time, with lots of his signature, astute observations. We had been in DC just at the end of December, with the kids seeing the mall and all the memorials for the first time, so there was a lot of remembering of places and amazement at the amount of people there now.


How cute are Malia and Sasha Obama. J said they were going to get in trouble as they were talking when Yo Yo Ma and the musicians were playing... he also said it must be really cold as people were ice skating in the mall... I missed that!


I think even the most cynical of us can't help but feel bouyed by the spirit and excitement of the day. The word hope has never had more meaning than today, to so many Americans.


Here's to hope and better days ahead for all of us, I think it will be here soon.


- S







No comments: