Tuesday, January 13, 2009

busy week... of not doing much!

Rant of the day - packed gym... ok, I get it, your new year's resolution is to get in shape... but please stop ruining my normally sane gym with your maniac workouts and go back to being a couch potato!

Rave of the day - watching my dvr'd Golden Globes show... being moved to tears by Kate Winslet, Danny Boyle (director of Slumdog Millionaire), even Micky Rourke (try explaining to your 13 year old why someone else crying on tv makes me cry too!)

As mentioned, I am a normally very busy writer and pr person, specializing in the beauty, health and home fields, who suddenly finds herself, well, too unbusy for my liking. As my schedule slows and the recession story gets more and more scary, I find I'm spending a lot of my time networking, emailing, calling colleagues and former clients, people I've known and worked with throughout the years. I'm often met with colleagues who say they are "in the same boat" as we all look for work assignments.

However, despite all that, I find that the days just go and go with all the mothering and domestic duties that seem to have ramped into full gear for me! Take this week for example, my calendar is filled not with business meetings and calls, but dentist and doctor appointments, school things to follow-up on (can you say middle school progress reports - yikes!), a neighbor's bris, a meeting with an artist for my column, practices galore and not to mention my new health kick which has me at the gym regularly and whipping up full course, healthy dinners like never before. So I guess what I'm saying is my life, which I often defined by my work, is at its fullest and fun, even without the work accolades and validation I have come to be accustomed to - and I am secretly liking it. I figure when the work comes back, and I know it will, I will have to better balance it all to be totally focused on work or totally focused on home and not let the two intermix and get stressful, as often occurs when you're a work at home mom. So, to channel Oprah, feel the gratitude for your life... there's always, always reasons why.

No comments: